Housing Disrepair

What is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair is a situation when the property you live in is in poor condition due to the lack of repairs and may not be safe or suitable for you and your family to live in.

Examples of housing disrepair include damp and mould in your property, leaks from the roof or pipes, water damage caused by leaks, damaged guttering and pipes, broken boiler or rodent infestation.

Who is responsible for repairs?

If you are a tenant, under the tenancy agreement your landlord is under a duty to keep the property in safe condition. It means that the landlord must deal with any structural issues, gas, water and electrics installation, leaks and infestations.

Your tenancy agreement sets out all repairs and maintenance obligations that are your landlord’s responsibility.

Who can make a claim?

If you are a tenant, whether with your local council or with housing association, you may be able to make a claim for housing disrepair.

If your claim is successful, repairs to your property will be arranged within a specific period of time and you may also be entitled to damages for loss of enjoyment of your home and losses that you have suffered as a result of the disrepair in your house.

Timescale for repairs

Time to complete repairs to your house will be agreed at the settlement stage and in majority of cases it could be anything between 60 to 120 days. The more serious and extensive works are the longer it can take to have your house put back to a good condition and satisfactory again.

Our Services

Free Consultation

We offer a free consultation with one of our team members to discuss your circumstances and assess whether you may be able to make a claim.

No Win No Fee Basis

Our services operate under this arrangement; if successful, reasonable costs are recovered from your compensation.

Fee Deduction

If your case is successful and we secure damages for you, we will deduct 30% inc VAT towards our costs and disbursements.